Uckfield Community Technical College

 The fantastic art room at UCTC

Yesterday saw me teaching a mixed group of year 10 students and teachers at Uckfield Community Technical College We had a fast paced, slightly crazy day that was very, very enjoyable. I must say I occasionally find it hard to concentrate on teaching when I am enjoying the interaction with the students so much - I know it's not very professional - but there!
The day had been set up by Clare Summons and Maggie Brand. Two very dedicated teachers who are full of energy and great ideas for their department. The art room that I was working in was full of incredible structures and art works - a very inspiring place in which to work.
The idea was to demonstrate some of the latest techniques in textile art and for the students to try using painted Bondaweb and Tyvek.  As you will see from the samples they certainly got the idea. I hope to be going back to this college early in 2012 to continue the fun we had. 

The samples were created using painted Bondaweb onto which, heat transfer foils, threads, sequins, fabric strips and seeds were applied.





 
 
  
 A selection of samples created by one of the year 10 students including Tyvek samples

 
I'm off to teach at West Dean College near Chichester this week delivering a new workshop, Hot Textiles – exploring layers, colour and stitch. It's a tough job but someone has to do it!!!!!
I know I will put on at least 4lbs, the food is absolutely wonderful. There is hope though, the grounds are beautiful (the gardens are open to the public) and if I get up early enough every day I can go for a walk before classes start. The workshops at West Dean are very well equipped and every thing runs like clock work there, I am very lucky to be one of their tutors. If you are not aware of the college then do have a look at their website. I am hoping we will be creating some new and exciting layered surfaces on this course - watch this space!

Have a good week!
x

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016