New Layered Textiles at Inkberrow Design Centre - part 2

 Layers of newspaper and polyester organza stitched together and slashed and distressed to create faux chenille.

One of the things we did on the first day of this course was to paint newspaper with procion dye. Normally I would use the newspaper that I have used over and over again when protecting my work surface. If you can build up the colour over time you get a wonderfully random effect of splodges of paint and dye. We didn't have that luxury of time so just had to make do with one coat of dye.


Several layers of newspaper and polyester organza machine (we used 8 of each) stitched together in 'tram lines' the width of your machine foot or slightly wider. You then cut through the top layers but NOT the bottom layer. I add a piece of dyed craft/pelmet Vilene as the bottom layer before I stitch all the layers together. This reinforces your work as newspaper is very fragile. The craft/pelmet Vilene also make your work firm enough for book covers or vessels.

Cutting through all the layers can be a laborious task - but worthwhile!


Once all your 'tram lines' have been cut you can then distress your work. I use the end of a pair of scissors - you could use a wire brush. Do some experiments with different types of 'distressors' and see which effect you like best. Several students found this part of the process quite addictive. It can be difficult to know when to stop . . . .  If you do get into it - just remember, relax your shoulders and neck and BREATH!!! It is so easy to hold your breath when you are concentrating. Breathing is very good for you . . !

 Newspaper faux chenille stitched into.

 . . and not stitched into . . . 

 . . with curved and straight lines . . 

It was great to work with such a fabulous group of students - both at Inkberrow Design Centre and at Denman College earlier in the week. I am very lucky to able to teach what I love. Whilst is can be hard work with lots of loading and unloading of the car - there is nothing else I would rather do. Working with such interesting, fun and generally lovely people is a joy!

x

That is the end of my teaching for this year, I have one more lecture next Saturday then it is the Design & Technology show at the NEC, Birmingham 17th - 19th November. I have lot of preparation for the show as I have a 6 metre x 3 metre stand - The Hot Textiles Surgery for teachers to come and be inspired and ask questions. I always have fun helping teachers to include more textiles in their lessons.

Then it will be my Open House - AARRGHH!!!!!! I have 9 other artists exhibiting in my house, I had better stop writing and start cleaning and tidying my house. I have a whole 9 days at home - wonderful. I have a huge amount to do, but now I have time to do it! Can you hear me breathing a sigh of relief?

x


I missed this image off the blog yesterday. Transfer printed CS800 (heaviest) Vilene Spunbond, backed with Bondaweb and then cut with a soldering iron. The shapes were then ironed onto CS500 (lightest) Vilene Spunbond.
I loved the effect and didn't want you to miss seeing it.

x


Enjoy your Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016