The 25th Wanaka Autumn Art School - April 28 - May 2, Part the third.

 
 As darkness falls over Lake Wanaka.

 Apologies for being so woefully behind with this blog, I am still catching up.
This is the final post about the The Wanaka Autumn Art School autumnartschool.net.nz
 
 With the weather changing and getting colder almost every day there were some fabulous skies over Wanaka - this is a picture of the sky as we were leaving class during the week - just beautiful.

It got quite cold while I was in Wanaka. I could have done with some gloves and had to buy a fleece. I hadn't realised it would be quite so chilly.

The five days that I had with my group were just a joy - they worked so hard, but also had fun. They also shared a lot of materials which always helps.

I have already shown you the main work from the course, but as is usual on longer workshops, there is a chance to develop ideas . . . .




 
Collages of painted Bondaweb, large leaves and the odd printing block mounted onto old book pages.



These little boxes are made from Decovil 1 light that has been colour washed, foiled and decorated with hand stitch and all manner of embellishments.




I was delighted with this box. It was cut from S133 - the heaviest iron-on interfacing. The box has been colour washed and then the outside was decorated with painted Bondaweb.The sides are laced. The inside and the lid are decorated with torn, painted papers that have been layered with painted Bondaweb and gilding flake.


The layered papers were then hand stitched with herringbone.

The S133 was very popular with the group. It is fabulous for vessels - here are few experiments.



 
S133 colour washed and decorated on the inside with large skeleton leaves. The outside is decorated with leaf shapes cut from silver organza. 
Simple and beautiful.


 
Another small vessel - this time the adhesive side was decorated with torn papers and foil. It was then laced to form the seam.


 
These two vessels were fun. This student hadn't worked in textiles before so she had a very steep learning curve - and coped very well.

The outside and inside of the vessel were decorated with layered torn papers.

You may remember the stunning round faux chenille boxes with lids from the first post about Wanaka. They were made by the very talented Gabby who also had fun playing about and making this little box.


 




I only mentioned, in passing, that the interfacings we were working with could be cut with a die cutting machine, and Lo and Behold - Barbara brought hers in the next day. The group had great fun cutting jewellery blanks.

The food at the Art School was wonderful, supplied by a local outside catering company - it was absolutely delicious. On our last they provided a scrumptious dinner - finished off the most delicious cheeseCAKE!!!

 
Aren't these repeat shapes just fabulous?

This is my lovely group of girls - we did have SUCH a great time together - if you look hard enough you can see a strange lady with blue hair . . . .

As you have probably have noticed if you have read the last months posts - I had the most incredible time in New Zealand. I was very well looked after at all times and the people were wonderful. As for the scenery - it takes some beating. I haven't travelled to the North Island yet, that will be in January.

If any of you girls are reading this - thank you - I will never forget this trip.

*

So - I did the Malvern Quilt Show from Thursday to Sunday - what a great show it was, very lively, beautiful quilts and rather lovely visitors. Laura and I had a fabulous time showing everyone the joys of Vilene products. Our next show will The Festival of Quilts.

My workshops site had been updated - I'm not doing so many workshops this year as I have a lot of shows - so if you fancy a workshop, don't leave it too long to book. Kims Workshops

My first workshop is also one of my favourites - Creating Original Designs, and I am also teaching it at one of my favourite places Art Van Go. It is my design workshop where you create your own printing blocks. There are a couple of places left and this is the only time I am teaching this workshop this year.

I am filming with Jamie Malden of Colouricious on Thursday - a whole new batch of films for you to watch on Youtube. I will let you know when they are released onto the unsuspecting public.

*

Hello Jill - 68 sleeps to go - have you had your materials list yet?
Hello Diana - I WILL ring you next week.
Hello Tod - I will also ring you next week - glad you almost like the hair!
and .  . RS - 6 sleeps to go. x

*

Have fun!


Comments

  1. No list gorgous one... have you? Two days to half term yeah! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No list for me either - ooeer!!! Half Term - Whooppeee. Have a great time - love to all. x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016